Thursday, February 17, 2011

An Afternoon Delight!

After 2 straight weeks of 'the gin', I felt it was time for a change. So desperate was I to change up the bad mojo that we not only switched out the gin for a different alcohol; we also changed the time of day - opting for an mid-afternoon tasting instead of our usual 'evening affair'. 

Hot Toddy 



Every week I get together with 2 of my very best friends and together we all partake in the Drink of the Week. Recently these friends came down with some super-bug on the level of H1N1, Ebola, or Mad Cow disease and as I flipped though the Bible of Beverages I came upon quite possibly the most storied of cure-all remedies. As my effort to help with their healing processes I arrived with ingredients in-hand to kick-start their immune systems like a Mack truck! Poor sick puppies.

A piping hot mug of this stuff will cure what ails you. In fact, the hot toddy has long been considered a cracker-jack cold and flu remedy - despite the American Medical Association's recommendations to the contrary. But hey, what do those doctors know? I know that when I drink this on a cold winter's night, I feel better immediately. Besides, if alcohol didn't have some health benefit, they wouldn't put it in cough medicine, right? Feel free to swap in your preferred whiskey for the rum. Cloves, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg are all traditional add-ins as well. Oh, and the name toddy apparently derives from the sap of an Asian palm tree. But that's a whole other story...

"That guy Spock was an idiot. My kids turned out okay because my wife and me raised 'em like we were raised."
- Ron, 72, retired teacher

1oz rum
1oz lemon juice
1oz honey
boiling water
Cinnamon stick

 
In a word.. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. THAT'S what I'm talking about! Little rum, little lemon, little honey - this is just what Dr. Maurice prescribes. Now take 5 of these, and spend an afternoon watching John Hughes classic's like Sixteen Candles and Weird Science.

As far as drinks go, this was a dream. It was smooth, and you get the warm body glow from a hot drink combined with the rum. Unlike last weeks Gin Sour all the ingredients came together perfectly and the notes all complimented each other instead of fighting to over-power you. I can't say for certain that the healing properties of the drink were confirmed (as of this writing my friends are JUST now becoming upright and able to perform normal human functions) but hey, it didn't hurt!

I think 5 or 6 drinks into my afternoon after being snuggled up on a couch watching movies, someone (with a striking resemblance to yours-truly) got the great idea to watch some stand-up comedy to round out the evening and lord if that wasn't one of the best idea's I've ever had! After nearly an hour of struggling to breathe between laughing fits and wiping away tears of joy it was time to put an end to the day.

As far as this drink goes: a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in a juicer. Using a natural rememdy as a cloak for this naughty-little-pleasure is enough of an excuse for me. I think a weekly Hot Toddy might just make sure I never get sick again - and even if I do I won't care that much.


No comments:

Post a Comment